Position: Communications Manager, Non-Profit
Long Beach, CA
Exempt, Full-Time, Regular Position
Californians Together is a statewide advocacy coalition with the goal of better educating 1.2 million English learners by improving California's schools and promoting equitable educational policy.
The Communications Manager is the sole communications staffer within Californians Together and reports directly to the Executive Director. The Communications Manager is responsible for implementing all communications activities and is heavily focused on developing content. The essential duties for this position include creating different types of high-quality content; translating research and policy content into easy-to-understand versions for different audiences; developing and implementing the organization’s communications plan, brand and narrative; and collaborating with the organization’s staff to support organizational-wide communications efforts. Responsible for developing work products with a special emphasis on key initiatives and organization wide programs.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Translate research and policy papers into briefs, executive summaries and other accessible written formats to share with a broad audience
- Write monthly newsletter to highlight organizational news, updates and milestones
- Manage organizational website and social media accounts to keep content updated and strategically aligned with organization’s goals and priorities
- Manage the production of photo and video shoots, usage and distribution of photo and video story content for general Californians Together work and specific to social media campaign for Spanish speaking parents
- Build communication/advocacy campaigns, including:
- Work with colleagues to vet stories
- Conduct interviews with coalition members, educators and parents and others, and write their stories
- Promote stories on organizational platforms and share with partners to disseminate
- Build a bank of freelance photographers to capture visuals from multiple locations across the state
- Build a list of education journalists, reporters and editors
- Draft white papers with support from senior staff
- Additional duties as assigned
- Develop and implement a comprehensive communications program with specific strategies and action plans to effectively communicate with and influence internal and external stakeholders
- Drive ongoing brand integration and updates, including narrative and design consistency, and clarity across the organization
- Update brand and style guidelines and train staff on how to use them when they develop their own materials; and to share with outside consultants on related projects
- Brief staff, leadership and board on communications efforts
- Create high-quality printed and digital materials per the communications plan
- Manage media opportunities, including responding to reporters, writing talking points and writing and pitching op-eds
- Develop and monitor communication measurements and analytics to gauge effectiveness and interest level of key audiences.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3 years of experience in a communications capacity, and relevant experience including a mix of the following qualifications
- Commitment to the mission and work of Californians Together with the credibility and persuasiveness to secure support from others
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in journalism, public relations, communications, public policy, marketing or related field required.
- Bilingual and biliterate in English and Spanish.
- Experience with strategic communications practices and techniques and/or minimum three years communications experience in education, non-profit, government or related field required.
- Exceptional written and verbal communications skills with a strong focus on creating high-quality content such as briefs, executive summaries, press and social media announcements and other organizational documents
- Ability to present and defend ideas and recommendations
- Excellent organizational abilities
- Ability to design and implement communications ideas
- Experience in editorial work including the planning, development and distribution of communications materials in multiple formats also required.
- Experience with digital communications, including websites, newsletters and social media
- Experience with policy and research
- Experience with data storytelling
- Collaborative leadership; Able to contribute to a high functioning team environment
- Graphic design skills preferred
Equal Employment Opportunity: Californians Together is an equal opportunity employer, welcomes a diverse pool of applicants, and makes employment decisions on the basis of merit. Californians Together policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, military service, legally protected medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions: This is a full-time, forty-hour per week position, though additional hours and evenings may be necessary to attend events and functions. Work will include long periods of sitting and standing and driving, so reliable transportation and a valid driver’s license is required. Time will be spent on the phone and sitting in front of a computer. Some lifting up to 15 pounds may be required. Limited physical effort required. Hearing, repetitive hand motions, sitting, talking, typing.
Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. Includes full health, dental and vision benefits, holidays, vacation and sick days. Office closes between Christmas Eve and New Year’s.
Please send cover letter and resume to: